Subscribe via e-mail! =)

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Operation Launch!

I have finally started a blog! Adventure Whit is at it again. And let me tell you, this has certainly been an adventure already!

So, I have the coolest job ever. They sent me down to Kennedy Space Center as a special guest to view one of the final three launches and work down here for a couple of meetings. I was able to bring one guest to the briefing and launch, so I thought it would be fun to bring along my big brother because he just got his MBA. =)

So here we are! I flew in and worked from the Orlando airport (I love public wi-fi and the capability to telework!) and waited for Jared to fly in. We found the rental car place with minimal difficulty, and I got to pick out my car--MAZDA 3! If I didn't love my Civic so much, I'd have gotten a Mazda 3. :) I get to drive a cool car! It's the little things in life that make it worthwhile, you know.

And we were off! Once the GPS recognized we were in fact located in FL and no longer in VA, we were on our way! We inadvertantly avoided the toll road, which is ok by me because I never have change, but it ended up taking us WAY longer to get to our "hotel".

Once at said "hotel", I turned to Jared and said, "This is way sketchy." He seemed to agree. And so I started making phone calls! The travel agency searched and couldn't find anything closer than Orlando (and absolutely nothing for the givernment rate!), so while they continued their search I opted for making a few more calls myself. I called a couple of friends who are local to see what areas are GOOD and what hotels are around, and they were very helpful. So I started calling non-shady hotels. Once again, thank God for wi-fi and a computer! The first four or five places I called said they were booked solid (due to the shuttle launch and a couple of other conferences around), but a couple of them were helpful in directing my search.

The last place I called was the Comfort Inn (not that it was my last choice, it was my first available choice!), and once again I said a prayer of thanks--they had an open room for us! Indeed, there was room at the Inn. :) So I gave the girl my information and got it all reserved, and off we drove again--in the awesome Mazda 3 with no power locks. =) But I still get a kick just driving it!

We got to the Comfort Inn, and of course there was construction everywhere! But who cares? Shannon said it right--my middle name is disaster! Hahaha. I laugh and move on in the face of disaster. I'm learning to roll with it, and I like it just fine! So anyway, I thanked the girl profusely for her help and said I would never stay at said hotel in Cocoa again, and the look on her face said it all--Cocoa is not the place to be! The city of Cocoa Beach is good, the city of Cocoa not so much! Just so you know.

So we got our room keys and found our room--WAY at the end of the building, but closer to the beach! And although it had that old lady-hotel room smell, we were just glad to be there! Jared and I set our stuff down and rested a bit, then went off to find supper! A trip to Publix was just the ticket--I even have peanut butter and mini bagels for breakfast in the morning! And a pear. :)

Jared ate and watched a bit of TV, I went out for a run--thank God for a fully functioning body! Back feels good, hip is pain-free, feet don't hurt. Now if I can just get these teeth to stop being so sensitive... but I'm not complaining! I'll take sensitive teeth over the other injuries any day of the week!

Got back, ate a salad with salmon and raspberry vinnaigrette (gourmet from Publix--hehe), showered, worked on a spreadsheet for one of my bosses, and here I sit--unable to sleep because the A/C is so very loud, but happy to be "safe and secure (no longer to linger, leaving my sin and strife..." name that tune!). Still working on hotel rooms for Friday, as well as for Sunday night and Monday night (for a different work trip), but I'll cross those bridges when I get there! Comfort Inn said something may come open with them for Friday. If not, I'll make a few more phone calls. =)

"Be not dismayed whate'er betide, God will take care of you-ou..." One of my most favorites. :)

And I'll leave you with this one: "For I know Whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I've committed unto Him against that day..." --2 Timothy 1:12 (and a great song!)

More to come on our "out of this world" adventure! And pictures will be posted soon. There will probably be one of me in the Mazda 3. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment