Subscribe via e-mail! =)

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Hooray for Anne of Green Gables!

Hello again, my loyal and lovely readers! Join us on our latest adventures! 

On Wednesday, we experienced Anne's world! Mom and I have been waiting for this since we were little girls. She has been waiting longer than I! Mom and Joel slept in a while, but I just couldn't help myself. I went out for a run! Victoria Park was just a few blocks from our Inn, and I had seen on the map that it's right next to the water, so I figured that would be a pretty place to run. It was! I passed some beautiful homes on the way to the water, and when I got to the park, there was a lovely boardwalk just waiting for me! I like running on boards much more than on pavement or concrete! I was just feet above the water and the red, rocky shore. The air was salty and smelled like the sea, there was a gentle breeze, and I thoroughly enjoyed the scenery! There was even a cute little red and white lighthouse at the end of the boardwalk where I turned around to go back to the Inn. I recommend it! 

Now that I'd run, it was time for a quick shower and a big breakfast! Mom and Joel were still getting ready to go, but I couldn't wait much longer for food, so I said I'd go see if Starbucks had a PEI City Mug and that I'd probably grab a bite along the way. Starbucks was a bust on the mug (they only had Canada, no PEI or Charlottetown--bummer!), but breakfast was fabulous! I stopped into Receiver Coffee Company, recommended to us by our waitress the night before. No lie, I had the best vanilla latte that I've ever had in my life, and I love my lattes! It was perfectly sweet, creamy, caffeinated, and delicious! And then came my breakfast sandwich: bacon, fried egg, lettuce, tomato, onion, and a special sauce between to perfectly toasted slices of bread Incredible! Or maybe I was just that hungry, but I'm pretty sure it was just that good!


I ate it on the way back to the inn, and guess where mom and Joel wanted to go for breakfast... Receiver! Oops! So we went back! Mom got the bacon and eggs, and Joel got the breakfast sandwich like me. They enjoyed it, too! 

And then it was time to make our way to the bus! We stopped in a couple of shops along the way, where mom tried on this hat: 


Yes, she went back and bought it later that day! 

We made it to the bus in plenty of time and set off in search of the true PEI! First stop: The PEI Preserve Company! The man who owns it started out in his grandmother's kitchen just making preserves on his own, and now he sends preserves all over the world! Mom and I both ordered some to be sent to our homes. Daddy and Steve, get excited! =) I thought we would also eat there, but when we arrived, the bus driver said we only got 15 minutes. too bad! That is definitely something to come back for! 

Next stop: Lobsters! We went to a small fishing village and learned how they catch lobster. Did you know PEI lobster is now a certified sustainable seafood? Eat up! 

Lobster trap demonstration!

And onward to the iconic red shoreline of PEI! Did you know the waters around Nova Scotia and PEI are the warmest waters north of the Carolinas? Amazing! People can swim here in the summertime. Their beaches have red sand, not the typical white sand we think of at the beach. There are beautiful rocky cliffs along the shoreline, too, and the tall green grass that grows there sways with the wind. It's truly peaceful and beautiful. I would have liked to stay longer. Guess I'll have to come back! 


And now, for the crown jewel of PEI (at least for the millions of people who loved the books)... Green Gables! I learned so much about Lucy Maud Montgomery and the Anne books. She was one of my favorite authors growing up, and not just the Anne books! She was all but an orphan as a toddler, and she went to live with her grandparents. Her grandfather's cousin owned a lovely house on a beautiful piece of property. It wasn't called Green Gables, but it was the inspiration and the model of the house and farm in her Anne books! There is even a Lovers Lane and a Haunted Wood! They set up the house to look like LM Montgomery described it in her books. It's wonderful! We even took a walk down Lovers Lane and, like Anne, I imagined my ideal man (Steve) walking along with me, holding my hand and stopping to give me a smooch every now and again! 



I love it! The whole experience just made me so happy! 

I stopped off for a blueberry scone inside a little bake shop they have there on the property, since I didn't get lunch! It was soft and delicious, not like a real scone. ;) hehehe. 

And then it was time to head back! We took a shorter route to get back to bus's meeting point and saw a few other things along the way, including Victoria Park and my running spot! When we alighted from the bus, mom and Joel decided to get a late lunch/early supper from Dave's Lobster Roll restaurant inside Founders' Hall, and I decided to squeeze in a house tour on the other side of Charlottetown. I knew if I hoofed it, I'd just make the last tour! 

Or not. I did get a tour, but it was less than 15 minutes (the visitor center said it was an hour long tour) and the girl giving me the tour was obviously bothered that I was there so late in the day. And they closed earlier than their website said they would, which is another reason I got a bit of the shaft. It was pretty much a waste of time and $5, especially since I took time out from my family to take the tour! Bummer. I got a lobster roll of my own and headed back to the room to meet up with mom and Joel! We shared some chocolates they'd gotten while I was off doing my thing, and I ended up going out again to pick up some Cows ice cream, as recommended by many! My sweet tooth really got a mouthful last night! =) 

I got to Face Time with my Love after that, and then we Skyped with Daddy-O back on the farm. And then it was time for bed! 

Please join us for our next installment: The Journey to Halifax! Goodnight, everyone! 



No comments:

Post a Comment