Subscribe via e-mail! =)

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Running Around the World

What's your favorite thing to do when you travel? Trying new foods? Seeing the sites? Meeting new people? Learning a new culture first-hand? Finding the best pastry shop in town? Maybe finding your way off the beaten path and seeing what the locals do? Shopping?

My favorite thing to do when I travel is going for a run! It's something Steve and I enjoy doing together, and we both like get a feel for the city. We kind of get an overview of the proximity of things we want to see, and we get to see more sites in a shorter amount of time than if we were walking. Some of my favorite stories of Steve from before we got married are his stories of running all over the world--over mountains in Croatia, watching out for rabid dogs in Africa, running all the way up to the top of Diamond Head in Honolulu, meeting his future wife just a couple of days before running the Prague Marathon. ;)

So how do I make sure I don't get lost? What do I do about safety? What about when it's cold? What about cobblestones in old cities? All these answers and more are coming your way!

1. Safety First! 
My number one priority when on travel is safety. This doesn't mean I live in fear, it means I'm aware of my surroundings, and I travel smart! I have this thing called a Flip Belt, and it goes around my waist like a belt (not like a fanny pack) that holds my phone, ID, cash, credit card, keys, and anything I might need to take with me.

There are openings all the way around, and even a clip for your keys. 

And then you flip it around so the openings are against your body, and everything's secure! 

I also don't use earbuds when I run in a new city because I want to be able to hear what's going on around me without distractions. I always feel safer when Steve runs with me, but when I travel by myself, I just make sure I'm aware of my surroundings and trust my gut if I think someone might be following me. I've never had bad experience, and I don't want to start!

One more note on safety: you may think, "I have all my information in my phone--name, phone number, contacts, GPS, and I even filled in my emergency info in the Health app in my phone. But what is your phone gets stolen? Take your ID with you! If you don't have or want to get a flip belt, put it in a pocket or in your sports bra. There are also ID bracelets like the ones at RoadID. Better safe than sorry!

2. Rough Terrain (cobblestones, rocky paths, and dirt roads)
Sorry, you will encounter less than perfect running conditions. Not every place you go will have manicured trails, sidewalks, or even paved roads! Steve was running in Italy before I met him, and he tripped and fell into a ravine leading into the Riviera. When I lived in Old Town Alexandria, I grew used to running on bumpy, neglected brick sidewalks. When Steve and I met, he was preparing to run the Prague marathon--talk about some historic cobblestone streets! And hundreds of runners successfully ran over 26 miles on them! When Steve and I ran together on Floreana Island in the Galapagos, there were literally no paved roads. There was one gravel road, and the main road was dirt and rock--large, loose rocks, prime for tripping! Here's a picture:

But what a view!

So, what do you do about that? First of all, watch where you're going! You do not want a sprained ankle or skinned knee during vacation, or any other injury for that matter. So just watch out.

Also, ask the person at the front desk of your hotel or hostel, or your host at AirBnB if there are any good running trails or long stretches of sidewalk. If there's a river or other body of water nearby, there is probably a good place to run or walk close to it. In the tiny Nova Scotian town of Pictou, the owner of the Inn where we stayed told me about a beautiful boardwalk down by the shoreline. I never would have known about it otherwise!

3. Avoid Getting Lost
I always keep a map with me. Steve always takes a small paper map, but we also use the MapMyRun app, which is the only thing I use when I go running on my own. I'm sure there are lots of other apps that will do the same things, but this is the one I like best. Steve has had a couple of GPS watches over the years, and none of them would sync up when he was out of the country. The app seems to work better for that.

It doesn't just track your distance, time, pace, etc., it also shows you your route. So, if you're like Steve and me in Oslo, Norway, you can zoom in and out as needed to see where you are and how to get back to your hotel, or wherever you need to run back to! The only downside is that if you don't have an international phone plan that includes data, you'll need to start the app when you're within a Wi-Fi zone--like your hotel or a restaurant that provides free Wi-Fi. Also remember that you'll have to save your workout when you're reconnected to Wi-Fi!

Map and running stats. You can even zoom in on the map to see road names to get your bearings if you do get lost and need to retrace your steps or find a shorter way back to your starting point. 

4. Running in Extreme Temperatures and Remembering Etiquette
Hot weather: light clothes! Just make sure that wherever you go, you won't be offending the locals. For instance, when Steve and I go to Vietnam later this year, I won't be taking shorts or tank tops for running because it's not appropriate for women there. Groan all you want about how women should be able to do what they want with their bodies, I'd rather wear capri running pants and a t-shirt and avoid offending people in their homeland!

Fine for American summers, maybe not so much in the Middle East or other more conservative destinations. 

Cold weather: Running pants! Or yoga pants. Long socks help, too, and don't be afraid to double up on socks if it's really cold! When we ran in 35-degree Vienna a couple of weeks ago, I wore one pair of socks, running shoes, running pants, a long-sleeve t-shirt, a light pullover, and an ear warmer. A general guide I read about recently is to dress for 20 degrees Fahrenheit (approximately 11 degrees Celsius) warmer than the actual temperature. So, for a 35-degree day, I dressed for what would help me be comfortable not running in 55-degree temperatures.

Cool weather running clothes: pants, long-sleeve t-shirt, pullover, gloves, ear warmer. It doesn't have to match! 

A note on how to pack light: roll, roll, roll! Roll your clothes instead of folding them. You'll be amazed at how much more you can fit into a backpack or suitcase this way. Also, check out my post on clothes that pull their own weight. If you're really pressed for space, put your socks and undies inside the shoes you pack.

A note on running etiquette: Try not to spit. I know, I prefer to spit when I run, too, but at the very least, don't let the locals see you do it. In many countries this can be construed as disrespectful. Same goes for any other questionable running habits (you know what they are).

5. But I'm on Vacation! I Don't Want to Run!
Well, there's really no quick fix for this one. Definitely have fun on your trip, wherever you go! You'll likely be walking a lot in any new place you go, but I still like to start every other day or so with a run as well. I just feel more energized for my day, and it helps me make a plan for what's around me and what may not be worth going back to if seeing it from the outside is enough.

But bear in mind that while you're out and running about, you may stumble upon a delightful local treat. Like this super hydrating fresh coconut water!


6. Running in High Altitudes
Do not plan to run your first couple of days in a high-altitude city! For instance, I was only in Quito, the world's highest capitol city, one day both times I went, and I didn't bother running either day. That high altitude is no joke! Stay hydrated, bring ibuprofen in case of headaches, and even take it easy on the walking if you've got hills to contend with. Your body will get used to it in a couple of days, but if you're going over 10,000 feet up, plan to take it easy so you don't wear yourself out or make yourself sick.

Something to bear in mind about what exactly is "high" altitude. Airplanes are pressurized for 8,000 feet, and while you should try to stay hydrated at that altitude, it won't make your as exhausted as 11,000 feet or more. Your body will adjust after a few days, but it's best not to push it!

7. Running Tours
This is one FUN way to get your running in and see the sites at the same time! I have to admit that I haven't done one of these myself yet, but my friend Valarie did a running tour in Barcelona and just raved about it! She said they ran for about 15 minutes, then stopped to hear about the site where they stopped. Then off to the next place! The whole tour lasted two or three hours.

One downside I've noted in researching these is that they can be pricey, especially if you're going with a private guide instead of a group. And if you don't like running with other people, this may not be for you. But on the up side, you're getting a quality run and a quality tour with a local, which is pretty awesome! And if you do like running with people, this is right up your alley! And look how happy my friend Val and her guide were while running around Barcelona:


Thanks for reading. Running memories are so nice to have! Run off and make your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment