Subscribe via e-mail! =)

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Packing Strategy II: Tetris Packing and an Element of Fun

"In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun. You find the fun and [SNAP!] the job's a game!" --Mary Poppins

Welcome to the second installment if Quick Whit's Packing Strategies! This time I'll be spilling my "Tetris Packing" secrets. Everything is more fun if you think of it as a game, right? Mary Poppins said so! Remember that game "Tetris" from the 90s? You had to turn and move different sized blocks so that they fit together, leaving no open spaces. Well, we can do that when we pack, too! Here are some simple tricks to have you packing more efficiently and effectively:

1. Find the Right Vessel
I could write a whole post about finding the best luggage (and I will do that one day soon!), but it bears mentioning here as well. Let's face it: not all bags are created equal! I've used all kinds, from the suitcases my parents used for their honeymoon in the 80's, to roller board suitcases for my three-month stint in Japan, to duffle bags, and finally to backpacks.

You have to find what works best for you, but from a packing standpoint, there are two factors that are most important: 1) weight; 2) expandability and retractability. You want something lightweight because you'll be lugging it (it's called "luggage" for a reason!). You also want something that can get larger or smaller as needed. I chose my backpack for many reasons, including the fact that there are straps that can be unbuckled to accommodate everything I need, but once it's closed, I can also buckle those straps and tighten them to really pack everything in and make it smaller, so it fits in the overhead bin without a problem! It's also handy to find one that either opens lengthwise, or one that opens at the top and the bottom. It's harder to lose things that way.

My friend Samantha agreed to participate in the photo shoot for size comparison purposes. She's a good sport! 


Empty.

Stuffed with 5 large bath towels. Can't even get the upper flap down!

Still stuffed, but now all the straps are buckled and pulled tight. I even got the upper flap closed and locked into place!

2. Start Big
In life, you usually have to start small. But in packing, it's best to start big! This is especially important if you're going to wintry destinations, and thus needing sweaters and other bulky things. The key is to roll and pack those things first, then fill in the spaces between and around those items with smaller things--like socks, undies, tights, camisoles, bathing suits, undershirts, pajamas, toiletries, etc. Anything that can be made small and stuffed into the crevices is fair game!

That's my bulkiest sweater. It need to go in first. See that tiny blue thing? That goes in after the big stuff to fill in the smallest of spaces! 

3. Use Your Shoes
I am the first to advocate for fewer shoes in your bags, but if you have to pack them, you need to use them! You know that space inside your shoes? The place where your feet go? Other things can fit there, too. Things like socks and underwear!

Stuffed running shoes. 

Four pair of socks in each shoe! That's more than a week's worth. Just imagine the things you can fit into boots! 

4. If at First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again!
I'll tell you one of my most embarrassing secrets: I don't always get it right the first time! Sometimes I have to take a few things out and do a little rearranging. Don't get discouraged or frustrated. Just outsmart your stuff! Take something out and roll it up tighter; turn your clothes upright instead of on their side; do whatever it takes to win at Tetris Packing! You can make it happen!

5. Find a Friend
If packing makes you truly stressed out and miserable, by all means, call in the reinforcements! My dear husband loves to travel, but he despises the packing part. I don't love it myself, but I do enjoy getting it accomplished! So he often calls on me to help him out. I pick out the basics, he fills in the other stuff he needs, we pack it together. Or I roll and he packs. He can do it on his own, sure, but I don't mind helping him out. If you have a friend or family member who gets into the packing and organizing of stuff, allow them to use their gift for good!

Packing Pals Forever!

For more packing strategies, check out:
Packing Strategy I: Roll with It!

No comments:

Post a Comment