Subscribe via e-mail! =)

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Return to the South... Savannah!


And for my next trip… Savannah, Georgia! As we know, I am a good southern girl. A belle. Sweet as tea. My roots grow deep in the South, so when I found myself with a RARE weekend free from all three of my current jobs, I thought, whatever shall I do with my time? And then it came to me—head south and explore a place I’ve never been! My friend Matt moved down to Savannah about a year and a half ago, and I’ve wanted to go visit ever since. This was my opportunity!

By a convenient twist of fate, it turned out Matt was actually going to be working in Atlanta for the next two weeks. Convenient because Atlanta was considerably less expensive to fly into, and Matt could pick me up from there instead of my having to rent a car and drive. Also convenient because neither of us had to make the four and a half hour drive from Atlanta to Savannah on our own! He’ll even be able to drop me off at the airport on his way into work on Monday. Couldn’t have worked out better! So I bought my ticket on Sunday, and there I sat in Georgia on Friday!

Another bonus of going to GA and flying into Atlanta is that my friend and adventure travel accomplice, Andrea, lives in Atlanta, so of course we needed to make plans to see each other! She and I met up for lunch at Highland Bakery close to downtown, and not only was it delicious, we had the best time catching up! She came up to DC and stayed with me for a couple of days in April, but we picked back up so easily it was as if we’d never been apart! We had so much to talk about. I love having so many friends in so many places. =) It’s good to never be far from friends.

After lunch, she and I met up with Matt and off we went! Matt’s been up to DC several times for work since taking this new job and moving away, so we’ve seen each other periodically over the last year and a half or so. It’s fun to get to catch up with him on his turf, though! =) Once we got into Savannah, we got to head over to his friends’ house for… a good Southern church signing! =) I’m not sure how often they all get together for singings, but I’m sure glad it worked out for me to be here and participate in one! He goes to a small, but well-established and close church out here called Garden City church of Christ. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming—as one can safely expect here in the “Hostess City of the South”! There were maybe about 12 or so of us, and we all got to choose at least one song each, and tell why we like the song or why we chose it. We sang many I knew, and a couple I didn’t know quite as well. I picked This World is Not My Home because it’s been made so clear to me the last few weeks that the world is very, VERY worldly, and it makes me so sad for people who think this world is the best there is, or the only thing there is to live for. It’s comforting to me to know that this world is NOT my home, I’m just passing through until I can get to Heaven. =)

After the singing, Matt and his temporary roommate Doug and I went back to Matt’s place, then headed out to downtown Savannah! We were on a mission: Leopold’s Ice Cream! It was late by the time we got there, but as I’m sure you well know… it’s never too late for ice cream! =) ESPECIALLY homemade ice cream!

So, Leopold’s is famous not only because it’s been around since 1919, they have amazing, incredible, delicious ice cream, unmatched by any I’ve ever tasted (and I’ve tasted a lot of ice cream!), but also because it’s run by a famous movie producer—Stratton Leopold! Stratton’s father and two uncles started the ice cream shop using the recipes that their uncle had created. They made all the ice cream themselves back then, and they still do today! The place is filled to the brim with movie memorabilia from the movies Stratton Leopold has produced, and they use a lot of the same fixtures as the original 1919 store, including the ice cream bar and soda fountain! I’m so glad we went here the first night because that means we have two more days to go back! =)

When we got done there, we three decided we needed to go explore River Street, which is another spot on my “to do” list. Folks who know me know I love seeing and being around the water! River Street is the place where a lot of the factories were located back in the 1800s, but today it’s a lot of restaurants and shops. Touristy? Yes. But it’s also nicely set against the water with riverboats docked there and lots of places for people to walk and sit. Cars use River Street, too, which is annoying for both pedestrians and drivers alike. The street itself is made from Belgium Blocks, and there are trolley tracks running through them as well, so it looks like you’re really back in the past and the cars are out of place. I like it. =)

We didn’t stay there long, since it was getting late, so we made our way up, up, up the tiny and steep steps to the main roads, got in the car and drove back home. Tomorrow would be a long day! 

And in the meantime... Pictures anyone? =) Click HERE!

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to visit Savannah for a long time. Haven't had southern hospitality in ages. Might get a chance in September. Leopold's and Vinny Van Go Go on my list now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't had Southern hospitality for a long time? Your waitress at Gadsby's needs to get on the ball! ;) Leopold's has spoiled me on ice cream forever--even when compared to Swiss ice cream! Thanks for the comment--hope you make it to Savannah in September and that it's not quite as humid for you. =)

    ReplyDelete