Subscribe via e-mail! =)

Monday, July 23, 2012

The Old Haunts of Philly

Well, since my work event got cancelled, but I still needed to stay in Philly, I decided there was something I simply needed to do--go on a ghost tour! Being a ghost tour guide myself, I feel it's required. =) The clouds were threatening to open up at any moment (which is why the event got cancelled), but I had my umbrella with me, so I figured it was worth chancing!


I needed to eat some supper, so I set out in search of good, non-chain fast food, and I found a great place called Honey's! One might think this is a bakery or a sweets shop from the name, but no, it's Italian. I was kind of expecting squishy, oily, not fresh stuff, but I couldn't have been more wrong! I ordered a chicken veggie panini, and much to my delight and chagrin, it was the BIGGEST panini I think I've ever seen! I couldn't even finish it all, and let me tell you, I know I looked funny trying to eat it on the go!


At any rate, I went to the meeting point and stood and waited for a few minutes. When it got to be about two or three minutes till 7:00 and no one else was there, I began to wonder if I was at the right spot. The guides usually wear orange shirts, at least that's what I thought. And just when I was certain I'd flubbed the meet-up address, some guy on the opposite corner hollered, "You waiting for a tour?" I said yes, and he said, "Haven't I given you a tour before?"


Oh my goodness! It was my friend Chris, the same tour guide I'd had a the tour I took a few weeks ago. Too funny! As it turns out, I was the only one there, so I got a personal tour! It was lots of fun, since we're both tour guides and we both give ghost tours. We swapped some stories along the way, and again, he was a fabulous, enthusiastic guide! That's his snake tattoo you see in the picture, by the way. Yes, he has the coolest tattoo in the free world.


The ghost tour was a lot like the ones my fellow Colonial Tour guides and I give--spooky stories, strange sightings, legends, nothing truly scary. He actually said he's always most uncomfortable about this tour because some people come expecting to be really scared out of their socks and they leave disappointed. In all actuality, the tour I got was exactly what I wanted! laid-back, easy-going, heavy on historical context, light on the creepiness, oral history ghost stories. Highly recommended, and definitely ask for Chris when going on the Free Tours by Foot in Philly!


We saw all kinds of fun and exciting things, such as the Ghostbusters building! Did you know that was in Philadelphia? I didn't. But it is! One of the first things we did was go over to Washington Square. What's so scary about Washington Square? Well, nothing really. Except it's built on a potter's field--a graveyard for people who couldn't afford a grave. Revolutionary soldiers from both sides are buried there, as are victims of the yellow fever epidemic. So whenever you go to this beautiful park, be aware that you're walking on people.


We also stopped by Dr. Philip Syng Physick's house--he was a revolutionary surgeon... and the father of carbonated beverages. =) His house is haunted. We went by the Philadelphia hospital and saw William Penn's statue, and I found out something interesting about it... he moves! People have said he moves around the yard there and lounges on benches, changes positions, etc. That would have been cool to see him do! I also learned about the New Jersey Devil, who apparently comes over to PA now and again. Did you know the New Jersey Devils hockey team is named for this character? Yep! Apparently he's pretty fierce and terrifying. I know I didn't want to run into him! There were a few creepier things on the tour, but you'll have to go on it yourself to find out about them! =) 


Chris kindly took me back to my hotel so I didn't have to go back at night on my own, for which I was most grateful! I was absolutely pooped after that long day! The next morning, I got up intending to go for a run and see a few more things before getting on the train home that afternoon, most of which I got to do. I got to see the Todd House (where Dolley Madison lived before she met James Madison!) and the Bishop White House. I'm constantly impressed with the way these historic homes in Philadelphia have been restored and preserved. The paint isn't caked on, props are dusted, it's nice. I love how they can do paint and wood analyses to find out what the original colors were and how old the wood is they were using. It's so interesting! Anyway, Dolley Todd's husband and one of her sons died from the yellow fever epidemic. They actually fled to a safer place, but since Mr. Todd was a lawyer, he needed to come back to Philly to help others get their affairs in order because so many people were dying and afraid of dying. He ended up catching the disease just days before he left to join Dolley and their sons, and he and their youngest son died on the same day. Dolley was introduced the next year to the shy and much older James Madison--17 years older! They never lived in this house together, but they may have actually first met there. =) 


The Bishop White house was much finer and fancier. He did a lot of things for the betterment of the community and mankind. He started a school for the deaf and other things, too, besides spreading his faith as well. Our guide said he didn't do the Bishop House very often, which was kind of a disappointment, but he made up for it because he took us to the third floor! That portion of the house is still being researched and restored. They already have furniture up there, which the guide said he didn't know anything about! It's like we got to look into super secret operations. =) 


And that was it! Off to the train station I went. I was home for less than 24 hours and then I was off like a shot again! Next up is Dover. Stay tuned! 


Missed the pictures of Philly in the last post? HERE you go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment